Friday, 11 April 2014

A note on The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Childhood memories are sometimes covered and obscured beneath the things that come later, like childhood toys forgotten at the bottom of a crammed adult closet, but they are never lost for good.

This novel felt like diving into memory.

I’ve been curious about Neil Gaiman for some time, especially after discovering one of my favourite films – Stardust – and I was excited to finally try a book.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is short and sweet but perfectly satisfying at the same time. The unnamed protagonist and the Hempstock women were charming and likeable. The description painted a world partly make-believe and partly real with beauty and interest.

The story was perfectly uncomplicated plot-wise but was full of nostalgia. The protagonist’s childhood is very different to my own but the child’s observations were so relatable that the book was thick with the feeling of memories.

There were quirks and ideas in Gaiman’s world that inspired the writer side of me and delighted the reader side.

This was my last read of 2013 and a very good one it was too.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the book - glad you did too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment! :)